KVC West Virginia is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening families and preventing child abuse and neglect. Our team of caring experts delivers a range of essential services, including in-home family support, foster care, adoption, in-home mental health therapy, and youth educational support – all to fulfill our mission of enriching and enhancing the lives of children and families.
KVC strengthens families using wraparound services so children can remain with their own families and in their own communities. We also provide foster care, reunification support, adoption, substance use treatment, in-home family services, educational support, and child, family and adult therapy.
KVC West Virginia continues to make a positive difference in the lives of hundreds of West Virginia children and families.
Spotlight on Providers
In this section, we profile KVC staff and partners who are making a difference.
Each year, we recognize one family as the KVC Resource Parents of the Year.
How To Become A Foster Parent
Each year, hundreds of local children are removed from their homes due to abuse, neglect or other challenges. These kids and teenagers need the support of a caring foster family.
How To Become An Adoptive Parent
KVC West Virginia helps match children in foster care with loving forever families through adoption. We work exclusively with children that are placed through the Department of Health and Human Resources
Parenting and Mental Health eBooks & Videos
Find helpful guides, assessments and videos on topics like parenting, mental health, ways to help children in crisis and more.
For consideration, the following criteria must be met. The recommended student must be:
- Currently in foster care in the state of West Virginia.
- Currently enrolled in the 8th – 12th grade.
- Able and willing to participate in the two-week residential component at the university and attend monthly Saturday sessions.
- Maintaining at least a 2.3 GPA and 90% attendance in current and previous school year* (*some exceptions for extenuating circumstances).
- Demonstrating maturity and potential to thrive in a college-prep setting.
Process for Submitting Application
- Verify that all criteria are fulfilled by the candidate.
- The candidate/student must complete the Scholar Interest Form.
- Complete the Adult Recommendation Form.
- Obtain student’s most recent transcript, attendance record and discipline log from current school.
- Submit the entire application packet electronically to Valerie Nichols at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “FS Scholar Application – Scholar’s Last Name.” Be sure to include the scholar interest form, adult recommendation form, school records). Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Acceptance will be on a rolling basis, so once a scholar’s application has been received and accepted, the new scholar will be immediately invited to begin participating in the Academy.
Email Valerie Nichols at email@example.com.