How to Become a Foster Parent
Each year, hundreds of local children are removed from their homes due to abuse, neglect or other challenges. These kids and teenagers need the support of a caring foster family.
KVC welcomes any adult that meets the following criteria to contact your local KVC office. Our professional staff are ready to answer any questions you have about foster parent requirements, starting the application process, and when our next training classes begin.
Foster parents in West Virginia must:
- Be between ages 21 and 65
- Either single or married
- Meet basic income guidelines
- Meet WV Child Placing Regulations regarding a safe and healthy home environment
- Have reliable transportation
- Be willing to complete 30 hours of free training in PRIDE (Parent Resource Information Development and Education), as well as CPR/First Aid, Crisis De-escalation (MANDT) and other similar courses
- Agree to use non-physical discipline for children
- Be willing for everyone in your household to undergo complete background checks (FBI, CIB, DHHR, and Statement of Criminal Record).
To learn more or sign up for a free foster parent training class, fill out the form below or call us at (304) 347-9818.